Mercedes Platz - lively hotspot in Berlin-Friedrichshain
An attractive visitor magnet has blossomed between the East Side Gallery and the Mercedes-Benz Arena.
20 hectares area
Food and beverage
four years from conception to letting
Located in front of the Mercedes-Benz Arena, the Mercedes Platz in Berlin-Friedrichshain forms the vital centerpiece for the dynamically growing city quarter along the East Side Gallery. The square is a central component of a vision that has been successively implemented by the Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) since the acquisition in 2001 of the approximately 20-hectare site of the former East freight depot: the development of a lively urban district with a mixture of recreational, sports and cultural uses, as well as shops, offices, hotels and apartments.
"We have convinced the successful national and international, well-established foodservice operators in cooperation with the experienced developer AEG, that the development of this destination between 2016 and 2018 will create a unique hotspot," says Benno Fischer, Director Retail Leasing, JLL. Further leisure settlements such as the UCI-Luxe Cinema, one of the largest and most modern theaters in the city, and Bowling World had meanwhile decided in favor of the Mercedes Platz thanks to JLL brokerage.
How we worked together
"We had leased all the units half a year before opening and were able to present a well-coordinated mix of tenants."
"We have subjected the entire catchment area to a comprehensive analysis to better understand customer flows in terms of AEG. Combined with our gastronomic consultant expertise, we were able to give AEG intensive advice on the Mercedes Platz concept, "says Fischer. "With the intensive networking with catering operators and our knowledge in terms of appropriate area size and cutting requirements, we succeeded in finding suitable companies for the unique objects."
Four years have passed from conception to letting to negotiate nearly 20 leases with restaurateurs and to dedicate them to the vision that the location has the potential to become the undisputed dining and entertainment heart of the city.
"The partnership-based cooperation with the AEG has worked very well thanks to intensive exchange, and we were able to market the rental space of Mercedes Platz with passion," says retail expert Benno Fischer. "On this basis, we had completely leased all the units half a year before opening and were able to present a well-coordinated mix of tenants."
These are the lease contracts:
- ALEX – an emotional enjoyment program
- Amar – Magic of Indian cuisine
- auf die hand – Finest fast food
- Chupenga – Real good food. Fast!
- coa – Wok & Bowls
- dean & David – fresh to eat
- Einstein Kaffee – Coffee-roasting Berlin since 1978
- Five Guys – Handmade burgers and fries – first restaurant in Berlin
- Hans im Glück – Burger grill und Bar
- Kamps Bäckerei – Freshness and crafts
- Loretta an der Spree – German tapas and well-kept beer culture
- Lorettas Im Biss – Fries. Currywurst. Hot dogs.
- L’Osteria – Pizza e Pasta
- Nôm Nôm – Vietnamese Kitchen
- Sausalitos – Carefree parties, Californian lifestyle and multi-culture
- Shibuya – Homemade ramen, traditional and reinterpreted sushi varieties
- Tony Roma’s – Famous for Ribs
Credit: Anschutz Entertainment Group